Please note: The person who occupies this position will be employed by Gundersen Boscobel Area Hospital, located in Boscobel, WI.
Medical Laboratory Technicians collect, perform and accurately report all patient, quality control and proficiency laboratory tests for which Gundersen Boscobel Area Hospital and Clinics is licensed. Technicians are responsible for critical thinking, making decisions about the accuracy and reliability of test results, instrument malfunctions, evaluating quality control results, specimen suitability, blood bank compatibility and prioritizing tests/patients to serve our customer’s needs. Employees in this department are also responsible for the performance of electrocardiograms, holter monitor and event recorder tests.
- Proficiently performs capillary, venous and arterial punctures on all patient groups.
- Draws/collects appropriate specimen(s) for the test(s) ordered.
- Demonstrates knowledge of test requirements, methodology and completion times.
- Follows protocol for performing/reviewing/accepting/reporting patient, proficiency and quality control results. Performs and documents any corrective action necessary before reporting patient results. Takes the initiative to investigate problems, find solutions and report back to Laboratory Manager as needed. Calls Technical Service for instrumentation, when necessary.
- Demonstrates knowledge of normal value ranges as they relate to the various age groups (newborn, pediatric, adult).
- Demonstrates knowledge of protocols related to critical value test reporting.
- Maintains accurate records as required by the department. Dates/initials/signs completed work.
- Notifies laboratory manager, or designee of discrepant or unexpected results, quality control or equipment failures within expected time frames.
- Performs proficiency testing in a prompt manner, according to protocols, and hands in appropriately completed/signed paperwork to Laboratory Manager.
- Maintenance is performed and documented per established protocols for each laboratory instrument in order to maintain it in a safe and proper working condition.
- Unscheduled maintenance is documented and communicated to all laboratory staff in an effective manner. Corrective actions, when necessary, are taken promptly and steps taken are documented.
This position is full time 80 hours bi-weekly with benefits. It is a day time position.
Graduate of an associate degree accredited MLT program (including internship).
Must have passed ASCP certification exam or be eligible and complete the exam within one year of employment.
Must comply with all continuing education requirements necessary to maintain licensure from appropriate certifying agency.
CPR certification is required.
Two years previous clinical laboratory experience, including phlebotomy and computer data entry, is preferred, but not required.
Previous experience working with the public is helpful, but not required.
To apply: https://secure.gundersenhealth.org/boscobel/employment/